What You Need to Know

Click here for a printable version of our Get Help info

Whom Does Legal Aid Help?

You must live in Sonoma County or have a case/legal matter in Sonoma County.

If you need help with a housing/eviction problem or a guardianship, you must be low-income.

ALL clients must bring us proof of their income, whatever it is.

Legal Aid’s services are available in English and Spanish.

What Can Legal Aid Help With?

Domestic Violence/Civil Harassment Restraining Orders

If you are feeling afraid of someone you know, live with, have a relationship with, or are related to, we can help you seek a Restraining Order.

We will help you prepare all the legal documents you need, assist you to write your story for the judge. In some cases, we will represent clients at their hearings. All of these services are confidential and private. We provide domestic violence and elder abuse services to people of all income levels.

Guardianship Services

If you are caring for, or want to care for a child that is not yours (grandchild, neighbor, a friend’s child), a guardianship can give you custody of that child as well as access to financial and medical resources for the child.

Eviction/Housing Cases

If you are being evicted or have questions about your rental housing, we can assist you with information and legal papers to respond to your eviction. We also assist landlords who are having difficulty with their tenants or need to file eviction papers. To receive eviction/housing services you must be LOW INCOME. If you cannot come to our office due to transportation or mobility issues, we may be able to meet with you where you live. Call our HOUSING HOTLINE to see if you qualify and to schedule an appointment: 707-843-4432.

IMPORTANT: If you receive eviction papers, come to see us IMMEDIATELY. If you wait too long, we may not be able to assist you!!

Elder Law Services

Elder Law Services: If you are 60 or over, in addition to the services above Legal Aid may be able to help with Elder Abuse restraining orders, Conservatorships (under limited circumstances), and simple Estate Planning. Contact our ELDER PHONE LINE to see if you qualify and to schedule an appointment: 707-340-5610

How to Get Our Services

You may come to our office in person during our intake hours to be screened, or you may call one of our hotlines to be screened for an appointment. We generally set same day or next day appointments. IF YOUR MATTER is URGENT, please come to the office. View directions and map

What to bring to your appointment:

  • Proof of Income
  • Police reports
  • ANY COURT papers from the last two years and the most CURRENT COURT ORDER in your case.
  • Full Name, Address and contact information of the person you are opposing in your case.

Links to other related services: